As India observes the month of October as “National Cyber Security Awareness Month”, Kotak Mahindra Bank (Kotak) is taking this opportunity to spread awareness on safe banking practices among customers, advising them to be vigilant and follow some basic precautions for a safe & secure banking experience.
In a unique initiative, Kotak has designed innovative face masks that serve a dual purpose – protecting customers’ health and wealth. The message on the masks reminds people to never share their personal sensitive banking information such as OTP, PIN and CVV numbers with anybody. The masks are being distributed to customers and employees at Kotak branches and the aim is to create widespread awareness on safe banking habits and ensure that people are alert and protect themselves from the rising cases of KYC and UPI-related frauds.
Safe Banking Tips:
- Do not share sensitive banking information such as CRN, passwords, card details, CVV, OTP, ATM PIN, UPI PIN, Mobile Banking PIN, or any such information with anybody. Kotak will never ask for this information.
- Only click on links from trusted sources. If you receive an email or text message from an unknown sender asking you to click on a suspicious link, beware and ignore the message altogether. Never respond to a threat or get lured by offers of windfall gains. Banks do not send such messages.
- Develop a healthy suspicion for email IDs you have not seen before.
- Refrain from downloading screen sharing apps such as AnyDesk, TeamViewer etc, which will enable the fraudster to take control of your device, view confidential banking details and access your account and funds without your knowledge.
- To receive money via UPI, one does not need to scan a QR code or enter a PIN or OTP.
- Activate SMS and Email alerts to get instant updates on banking transactions. Read transaction-related messages and pop-ups closely.
- Always keep your contact details updated with the bank.
- Always visit the bank’s official website – www.kotak.com – for the bank’s contact details.
- Similarly, when searching online for contact numbers of e-commerce or any service providers, visit the official company website for contact details.
- Keep your laptop/ mobile devices safe by regularly updating the software released by the system manufacturer.
- Install reputed antivirus software to protect your system from malicious software.